The variety of frozen meal options in your grocery store is extensive, and continues to grow. People who lead busy lives rely on them for a quick and easy meal option. Read on to learn about the best frozen meal options for diabetes.
Can people with diabetes eat frozen meals?
Frozen meals can definitely be part of your meal plan if you have diabetes. They’re quick and easy to prepare: all you need is an oven or microwave! The important thing is to choose your frozen meal wisely, to ensure optimum nutritional content and fewer preservatives or additives.
What are the pros and cons of frozen meals?
When choosing a frozen meal there are some pros and cons you should consider, including:
- Easy and quick to prepare
- Convenient for people on the go
- Many ingredient options to suit your taste buds
- Generally have a long shelf life, so they can stay in your freezer until you need them
- Can be less expensive than fresh foods
- Built-in portion control
- May not be as tasty as freshly prepared foods, or look as appetizing
- Can be high in calories
- Can contain high amounts of fat, sodium and preservatives
- Serving sizes may be unrealistically small
Are there certain things to look for when buying frozen meals?
Here are some tips you can follow when choosing a frozen meal:
- Check the portion size: some manufacturers measure a portion as something less than the entire contents of the box
- Look for frozen meals that include plenty of vegetables; these tend to be lower in calories and higher in fibre (which helps you feel full)
- Opt for brown rice or whole grains whenever possible
- Choose meals that contain lean meat, fish, or chicken
- Read the nutrition label closely, especially the sodium and fat content (particularly saturated and trans fats)
Which are the best Canadian frozen meal options?
The table below shows the nutrition facts for some of the best frozen meal options available in Canada.
|Amy’s roasted vegetable pizza||290||42||3||7||540||10||1.5||0|
|Compliments southwest rice beans quinoa||330||51||12||14||670||5||0||0.3|
|Healthy Choice Classics lemon pepper fish||280||48||2||14||510||3.5||1||0|
|Lean Cuisine chicken in wine sauce||160||20||2||14||520||2.5||1||0|
|Lean Cuisine ginger beef stir fry||290||50||1||13||580||5||1.5||0.2|
|Lean Cuisine grilled chicken and vegetables||250||35||3||17||570||6||2||0.2|
|McCain baked pizza pocket deluxe||230||28||2||9||420||9||2.5||0.1|
|Michelina’s chicken stir fry||180||29||3||8||660||4||1||0|
|Michelina’s macaroni and cheese||280||38||1||9||560||11||4.5||0|
|Nestlé Marketplace Cuisine butternut squash ravioli||280||49||7||10||650||6||3||0.2|
|President’s Choice beef and broccoli||340||55||2||5||610||5||1.5||0|