- 3 Tips For Planning Your Next Healthcare Visit
- Good and ’not-so-good’ fats for people with diabetesWhen thinking about diabetes management and healthy eating, carbohydrates get all the attention. Fat, however, is also important for people with diabetes. In order to understand how fat fits into a healthy eating plan, it is important to understand the different types of fat and their effects on our body.
- Are lemons good for diabetes?There’s good reason the early explorers used to pack lemons on lengthy voyages to prevent and treat diseases. High in vitamin C, fibre and other nutrients, lemons provide essential health benefits, whether you have diabetes or not. Here’s a look at the health perks of lemons and some inspiration on how to add more of them to your diabetes diet.
- In praise of swimmingSwimming is an aerobic exercise, which involves continuous, rhythmic movements of large muscle groups. Read on to learn about 7 benefits of swimming for people with diabetes.
- Bill C-19 and type 1 diabetes tax creditsBill C-19 is an act of legislation that includes changes to the Canadian disability tax credit. Passed by the Parliament of Canada in June 2022, Bill C-19 stipulates that people who have type 1 diabetes automatically qualify for the disability tax credit.
- Best Canadian ice cream and alternatives for diabetesPeople with diabetes can enjoy a variety of foods. A balanced and varied diet is one of the cornerstones of diabetes management. So when it comes to sweet treats, such as ice cream, it’s all a matter of choosing wisely and eating in moderation.
- Tips for travelling with Type 1 diabetesTaking a vacation requires planning and preparation for anyone, but it’s even more important for people with type 1 diabetes. Thinking ahead about your diabetes management is key to a successful trip, so consider the following 10 tips for travelling with type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetes and tax returnsIf you have diabetes, you might be eligible for a break on your tax return. There are a number of credits that people with diabetes can apply for, to help offset the day-to-day expenses of living with the disease. Learn more about diabetes and tax returns in this article.
- Eating healthy to prevent diabetes complicationsHaving diabetes can mean having a greater risk for heart disease and high blood pressure, kidney disease, eye problems and nerve damage than people without diabetes.
- Banana chocolate chip ice creamIf you are craving something sweet but want to stay off the rich stuff, this is your recipe. It is simple, delicious and it will definitely hit the spot! I make a big batch and leave it covered in the freezer. It scoops well and is delicious!
- Lemony Greek chicken kebabs
- Spring quinoa with asparagus and kale
- Cacio e pepe roasted spring asparagus
- All-purpose red wine vinaigrette
- Cheaters guacamole
- Popcorn chicken bites with chipotle honey mustard
- Roasted broccoli “steaks” with white beans and tangy vinaigrette
- 3-ingredient chocolate bark with pumpkin seeds and cherries
- Sheet pan Greek fish with feta, tomatoes, potatoes and broccolini
Why Diabetes Care Community?
You know you can trust the information you receive at Diabetes Care Community.
Every day, thousands of Canadians from coast to coast visit Diabetes Care Community to gain knowledge and self-management skills so that they can live healthier lives.
The content we create, whether it is an article, recipe or video, are all written and/or reviewed by a healthcare professional and based on the most recent Canadian diabetes guidelines.
To ensure our visitors receive the very best up-to-date information, our diverse group of Canadian healthcare professionals contribute editorial guidance, educational content, tools and resources.