In this section you will find articles written by Joanne Lewis, our expert dietitian, which will help you make healthier choices when you are navigating the grocery store. Joanne’s articles will guide you down every aisle. Whether you are shopping for pasta, cereals, fruits and vegetables, snacks, meat and poultry, or milk and other milk products you will find tips to make the right choices.
Other articles which will help you make healthier choices
- Prediabetes menu planIf you have been diagnosed with prediabetes, you may be wondering if there is a special diet that you should follow. People with prediabetes don’t need any special foods different than anyone else. The most important thing you can do is eat healthy foods and plan your weekly meals accordingly.
- High-fibre menu planIncorporating fibre into your meal plan is a good idea, as it can help regulate your blood sugar levels and make you feel fuller longer after a meal. It can also lower your risk of heart disease and other chronic conditions. Read on to learn about healthy meal choices you can make with a weekly high-fibre menu plan.
- Healthier alternatives for pasta loversPasta is one of the most popular foods in Canada. It is a versatile, inexpensive and quick-to-prepare option. Whether served cold as a pasta salad, or as a steaming bowl of noodles with your preferred sauce, pasta is a staple in most homes.
- Can corn be part of a diabetes diet?Corn is a delicious and nutritious vegetable and can certainly be part of your diabetes diet. What about popcorn? Or corn chips? Read on to learn about diabetes and corn.
- Best Canadian ice cream and alternatives for diabetesPeople with diabetes can enjoy a variety of foods. A balanced and varied diet is one of the cornerstones of diabetes management. So when it comes to sweet treats, such as ice cream, it’s all a matter of choosing wisely and eating in moderation.
- Time to bring on the beet to your diabetes dietPeople have been growing beets for centuries and using them for medicinal purposes in addition to food. Now research is proving that our ancestors were really onto something. Beets are nutritious, and when it comes to diabetes, they can be an especially good vegetable choice.
- Best Canadian yogurts for people with diabetesYogurt is a healthy and nutritious addition to your diabetes meal plan. It’s a great option for a quick breakfast, afternoon snack or satisfying dessert.
- What are whole grains and why should you eat them?Not all grains are created equal, so it’s important to choose the ones that are going to add the most benefit to your diabetes meal plan. Here’s the whole truth about whole grains and diabetes, plus some compelling reasons why you should opt for whole grain foods whenever possible.
- The common carrot packs a healthy punch—but moderation is keyThe common carrot packs a healthy punch. Here’s a look at the mighty carrot and why you can add it to your diabetes meal plan in moderation.
- 7 foods that lower your cholesterolMany people like to modify their eating habits to help manage health conditions. Read on to learn about 7 foods you can incorporate into your diet if you are trying to manage high cholesterol.