The health benefits of regular exercise have been well documented. And these benefits are available to everyone regardless of your age, sex or physical ability.
Exercise can help prevent weight gain or help you lose weight. The more vigorous the activity, the more calories you will burn.
Physical activity can help you feel more relaxed and in a better frame of mind. A 30-minute walk after a stressful day at the office can help improve your mood.
Regular exercise can boost your endurance. It can also increase your strength. Physical activity delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and helps your heart and lungs work more efficiently.
A regular fitness routine also helps with diabetes management, reduces diabetes complications, and can halt the progression from pre-diabetes to diabetes.
Physical Activity Sections
This section is dedicated to providing information about types of exercises and overcoming barriers to starting and maintaining an active lifestyle.
Types of Exercise
Physical activity experts give us aerobic and resistance training ideas and explain how regular exercise will help reduce stress and help maintain target levels of blood glucose, cholesterol and blood pressure. Learn more here.
Physical Activity Articles
- Physical activity ideas for when you're stuck indoorsWhen the temperature dips and it's uncomfortable to go outside, there is a tendency to retreat to the pleasures of the couch.
- Diabetes and disabilities physical activity tipsMany people with diabetes are also living with the challenges of related complications such as nerve, vision and muscular disabilities.
- 8 cold weather exercise tipsDo you ever wonder whether it's safe for people with diabetes to exercise in winter?
- 10 tips for managing food and exercise while working at homeWe’re all spending a lot more time at home these days, especially if it’s our workplace too. As we settle into a socially distant winter ahead, here are some tips to ensure you’re still eating healthy food and getting exercise while working at home.
- Managing the heat wave with diabetesSummer is the season that so many of us look forward to. But hot weather can pose a number of problems for people living with diabetes.
- Brief exercise sessions can help you live a longer, healthier lifeWe all know that physical activity is good for us – whether we have diabetes or not! However, several studies have confirmed a couple of important facts about physical activity
- Why you should consider doing these 7 stretching exercisesStretching exercises are especially good for people with diabetes. They help you stay fit, improve joint mobility and lower blood sugars. Here are 7 easy to do stretching exercises.
- 6 exercises for people with type 2 diabetesExercise is important for people with type 2 diabetes. Check out these 6 exercises for people with type 2 diabetes.
- Sciatica exercises for diabetesSciatica exercises for diabetes can help relieve pain, as well as improve muscle strength, posture and balance. Read this article to learn about the best exercises for sciatica pain.
- Best exercises for diabetes with high blood pressureMany people with diabetes also suffer from heart disease, including high blood pressure. Read this article to learn about the best exercises for diabetes and high blood pressure.