When to take my medication

Welcome to Diabetes Care Community! Forums Healthy Eating When to take my medication

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Beth Ray 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Raymond Drouin
    Participant

Is there a specific time when I should take my medication, metformin among others. Should I take it just before meals, just after a meal, or just twice a day like it says on my label. I usually take it around 5:30 am and between 7 or 8 pm at night

Metformin is usually taken with food. The reason for this is to reduce stomach upset (nausea, diarrhea). Generally this means that you should take it right before a meal or during a meal or right after the meal. If you find that you are okay taking it without food, that is fine. It is also good to take medication with meals (as long as it is okay with food) so that you remember to take it. The meal acts as a reminder and you develop a good habit of taking your medication at a regular time(s). Pill boxes also work well as a reminder. Hope this helps.

dave
    Participant

Metformin is usually taken with food.

Kathy
    Participant

Does anybody have experience with Farxiga. I just ed started and the info says to take any time. Please reply with your thoughts.

Keymaster

Farxiga should be taken in the morning and can be taken with or without food.

Johnsam
    Participant

Metformin should be strictly taken with food. Usually people take it 1-3 times a day with the meals. Drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication. Remember to use it at the same times each day. If you are already taking another diabetes drug (such as chlorpropamide), follow your doctor’s directions carefully for stopping/continuing the old drug and starting metformin.

Farxiga is taken with or without food as directed by your doctor, usually once daily in the morning. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. This medication must be also taken at the same time each day.

Beth Ray
    Participant

Good morning,
    I am newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetes. It threw me for a loop because I take good care of myself, I am not overweight, don’t smoke or drink. I thought I was doing everything right. I turned 65 a week ago and still work part-time. The diangosis shook me up, I have to admit that. My Mom had type 2 also and was disgnosed in her midsixties too. But she never took care of herself, never walked, exercised, she smoked a lot too.

Anyway, I went to one class at a clinic about diabetes, I have one again on Wednesday with a dietician. I have a lot of questions for her/him.

It basically seems to me I have to give up all the food I like. Everything is full of sugar or carbs. I got the MyFitnessPal app on my phone to put in everything I eat and drink. It keeps telling me I am not taking in enough calories. I have been reading and reading about diabetes and diet. Most of the foods they say are good for diabetes I do not like at all or are foreign to me. My husband and I are old fashioned in our diets, meat, potatoes, veggies people.

What shocked me was that most fruit are bad for me, some veggies too.

I feel lost and overwhelmed. Anyone else feel this way? I know it has only been a month but it has been a very long month.

I take Metformin twice daily, with meals, the first two weeks I was nauseated almost constantly, but it seems to have settled down now. I check my BG 3 x a day, but no one told me to do that, I just feel better knowing where I stand.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.