Type 1 and exercise

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  health 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

health
    Keymaster

Greetings to Moms and Dads of kids with Type 1 diabetes. My son was diagnosed at age 8. That was almost 4 years ago. Back then, and now, he’s played soccer at the rep level. While I understand how important exercise is for him, managing lows and highs can be challenging. For lows I’m looking for input on what other parents pack for their child so the low can be treated rapidly, and downtime, or bench time, is minimized. Gatorade? How much? I treat with a Nestea tetra pac because it’s 17g of carbs versus a juice box which is 25g or Gatorade which is much more! Thanks, Lisa

health
    Keymaster

Always remember to wait a bare minimum of 10 – 15 min after having the tetra pac or juice or whatever works for him before having a snack or meal. My daughter is a type I and she also has hypo-thyroidism and addison’s disease. She uses a juice box which works quickly and within 10 min is back up to 5 or 6 from a 2 or 3. When they do feel the low they really want to eat something right away but what happens is the food absorbs the juice before the body does and blood sugars don’t come up. So just really remember to wait for the sugar fix to work before food.
    Good luck
    Natasha

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.