Providing support without taking control

Welcome to Diabetes Care Community! Forums Caregivers’ Support Providing support without taking control

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  health 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

health
    Keymaster

I have found this to be a very tricky area when dealing with a teen. These are years when trying to “fit-in” or appear “normal” are very important and diabetic care can sometimes get in the way. There have been occasions when our daughter would return from school only having taken one blood sugar measurement and her response would be ” I was busy” or simply “I forgot”. Thankfully this doesn’t happen too often. It is important to realize that there will be OFF days and that nagging your child will probably do more harm than good. Diabetes is something that she will have to live with and treat all her life (there are no days off). If our daughter is going through a “rough time”, my husband and I will usually try and offer advice on how to make keeping up with her care a little easier. banting

health
    Keymaster

Well, I guess this is also what I am struggling with. Obviously, the approach taken will be different with a teenager than a younger child like mine (who is 10 years old). I like what you are saying about not falling into ‘nagging’ and yet being able to offer advice when needed. I found learning as much as I can myself has put me in a position to be able to offer advice and this has been really important. What I also find helpful is reading the parenting material on ‘how to talk so kids will listen’ which gives advice on the ‘how-to’ of building communication. Striking the balance between the ‘hands off’ and the ‘being there’ is an ongoing challenge. Cara

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.