- September 16, 2015 at 11:20 pm #7387healthKeymaster
Posted by Anna B, a Type 1 diabetic
Please help me get the government to fund Continuous Glucose Monitors – it could save my life!
I’m a 37 year old Type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed when I was 14 yrs old. I have always suffered from brittle diabetes, however for the past 15 months I have also been suffering from nighttime hypos causing seizures and tongue biting.
I have started a petition to try to obtain funding for CGMs as they are not covered and are extremely expensive. Being a single mom there is no way I can afford one without some kind of funding.
I would very much appreciate it if everyone could read and sign my petition by clicking the link below and then the RED SIGN button. Also please share it with ALL your friends, family and contacts and ask them to sign AND share it too! Even if you don’t sign, please still share it. Someone else might sign it. If you cannot click the link, you can go to the website “change.org” and search for “Bernecka” (my last name).
I need to get the government’s attention and the only way to do it is to get hundreds of thousands of signatures. Please! I can’t stress enough how important this is.
IMPORTANT: You MUST see a “thank you” page after signing; otherwise your signature will NOT count. Please note that phones and tablets do not always show the “thank you” page. It is best to sign the petition from your laptop/desktop. Thank you so much for your help!!
Just click on this link http://chn.ge/1Qj4olY
In the meantime while this petition is ongoing and I’m collecting signatures to get the government’s attention, I still desperately need a CGM. I have therefore started a separate page asking for the public’s help to pay for it. If you wish to help me, please visit the page noted below. Thank you!September 20, 2015 at 12:07 pm #7397FatCatAnnaParticipant
Hi Anna B (I’m an Anna too – cool). I’ll go and sign the petition after posting this.
I just recently moved to Ontario (where you reside too I see). I came here due to living in Quebec where the insulin pump program only covers at the moment up to the age of 18 for T1D (when the person goes over that age – as long as they are in program and remain in Quebec they continue with coverage similar to Ontario … except they have a larger amount for supplies compared to Ontario). Anyway, I fought to get coverage for T1D’s like myself (I pay for my pump out of pocket).
I am hoping that now living in Ontario (I bought a new pump last December with my credit card to gain 1 year extra of warranty (you can read more here at this link
So at least now, once I start on the ADP I’ll able to afford the Dexcom if I don’t get any help from the Ontario government (even 50% would be nice).
BTW, have you ever applied for the Disability Tax Credit? I have, and that helps go towards what we fork out for our diabetes (e.g. insulin is so much more expensive in Ontario compared to Quebec … so guess what ? I’m going across the border to get my Novorapid at only $28/vial – it’s worth the gas and 1 hour drive).
Also, don’t you wish that like the UK (I’m an expat … maybe I should move back there 😉 ) – that the health care was not run provincially? If each province had the same health care / prescription program (Quebec has a good one) — then I think we’d all be better off.
Anyway, good luck … I love my Bowie … aka Dexcom … and still using expired sensors from Americans I meet up at due to my advocacy work I do in the field of diabetes (I was diagnosed in the 60’s with T1D).
Since this forum (and it’s Canadian … yippee) – seems fairly quiet unlike American/UK ones that I belong to (or Facebook … that rocks for diabetes groups if you’ve not discovered it yet) – maybe our posts will get some of the members out to post more instead of being lurkers 😉September 20, 2015 at 9:41 pm #7399Anna B.Participant
Hi Anna 🙂 Thanks SO much for signing and welcome to Ontario! It’s amazing how different the coverage is province to province, and between Canada and the States!
Yes I have applied and am receiving DTC and while it would help with paying for a CGM, I’m a single mom and can’t afford the rest of the cost. (The credit isn’t that much). If it was covered by ADP @ 75%, then yes, the DTC would be a great supplement to cover the remaining 25%.
I followed the link you mentioned in your post and see that you have a blog about diabetes (cool!). I’m wondering whether it would be too much to ask for you to post a link to my petition on your blog? Oh and thx for the heads up re diabetic groups on FB – I haven’t thought of that! I’ll go and look them up now! 🙂
Thanks so much Anna and all the best to you!!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.