Ketosis

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Diabetes Care Community Team 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Dan
    Participant

I recently read about diabetic ketoacidosis. I’m on the “keto” diet, where my ketones are active and i’m loosing them (burning my own fat).
    Is there a difference in diabetic ketoacidosis and diet ketosis ? Is the keto diet safe for me (I have type 2 diabetes) ?
    Thanks in advance……

Here is a response from our dietitian:
    Ketosis from following a ketogenic diet is different from ketoacidosis or DKA, which is an extremely dangerous condition. DKA is most prevalent in type 1 diabetes when blood glucose is too high and there is a lack of insulin. DKA in type 2 diabetes is rare but is a possibility if ketones and blood sugar levels are too high. If you’re on the ketogenic diet and are losing weight most likely you have low to moderate level of ketones, which doesn’t increase your risk for DKA, if your blood sugar is managed and within target ranges. If your blood sugar reaches above 14 mmol/L, consider checking for high ketone levels using a urine ketone test strip available at the pharmacy. If ketone levels are “high”, seek medical attention.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.