High Intensity Interval Training(HIIT)

Welcome to Diabetes Care Community! Forums Physical Activity High Intensity Interval Training(HIIT)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  health 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

health
    Keymaster

Cynthia and John have raised the issue of HIIT. Some of you may have watched physician and British journalist Michael Mosley on TVO,PBS and BBC where he explores high intensity interval training.(You tube clips still available).The widespread physical-activity recommendation of all Diabetes Associations for adults is 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity exercise. Completion of this weekly amount of exercise confers numerous health benefits in various clinical conditions including diabetes. Unfortunately, the majority of adults fall short of recommended physical-activity guidelines, with lack of time cited as the primary barrier to achieving weekly exercise goals. It is largely for this reason that the scientific community first considered HIIT as a viable option for clinical populations. “The real advantage of HIIT versus moderate intensity exercise is that you can get the same benefits –such as improved muscle cell function, increased oxygen consumption, improved fitness level and better blood sugar control, even weight loss – but you don’t have to exercise as long.
    I just want to add a word of caution: One has to be extremely fit to undertake this intensity of exercise even though it’s for short bursts.
    People with type 2 diabetes with the following profile are considered to be at high risk of cardiovascular disease(Heart attack, stroke) with high intensity exercise:Men >45 years of age, women > 50 years of age;Men<45 years of age and women < 50 years of age with > 1 of the following risk factors:
    -Presence of vascular disease determined in any vascular territories such as heart, legs, neck vessels
    -Multiple risk factors , especially a family history of premature heart disease or stroke in a first degree relative
    -Extremely high levels of a single risk factor e.g. Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL) > 5 mmol/L, Systolic blood pressure > 180 mmHg
    -Duration of diabetes >15 years
    An exercise stress test is recommended as a screening method to detect any risk of complications.
    If one is cleared , it’s critical to seek help of a fitness expert in the field who will outline the duration of intense bursts of activity and fixed periods of lesser activity or rest.
    Dr Michael Sarin

health
    Keymaster

Thanks Mike for your expert advice.I will check in with my doctor if I am OK to start High Intensity Exercise. From the sound of it I might be at high risk of a heart attack. I have read all your blogs about exercise and will follow for the time being my aerobic walking for 30 minutes and weights twice a week.Will keep you posted.
    John

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.