Helping children become self-sufficient

Welcome to Diabetes Care Community! Forums Emotional Support Helping children become self-sufficient

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  health 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

health
    Keymaster

I think that the earlier your child learns to take part in their diabetic treatment, the more confident they will feel. I have found it quite helpful the have my child be responsible for keeping track of her diabetic supplies. She is responsible for re-ordering her supplies when they are low. ( We had discussed what the minimum amounts of each supply should be, prior to her taking over this task.) Although my husband and I are always there to provide a “double check”, our daughter tries to do all packing of medications and supplies prior to sleep-overs or trips. Bantin

health
    Keymaster

I am working mother, trying to juggle a job and family commitments and having a child diagnosed with diabetes, I must admit, threw me for a loop. I didn’t know how I was going to cope and I was really frightened. I actually felt overwhelmed.

What was really helpful to me was the wonderful support I got from the staff at our local hospital’s diabetes centre. They seemed to understand my worries as a mother and included me in all the discussions, so we all learned together.

Another thing that was helpful is seeing my son pick up the skills he needed so quickly. He loved learning how to work the pump and was way ahead of me in terms of making the calculations of food to insulin ratio. Also, since he was wearing the pump, I was literally pushed to being an observer and he quickly let me know that he could handle it.

Still I worry. He’s only 10 years old. It is early days and it has been encouraging to see how things are unfolding right now, however, let loose at home, I find I worry more, especially about ‘low’ blood sugars and whether my son will make a mistake and then what? This isn’t easy.
    Cara

health
    Keymaster

One of the best ways my son learned self sufficiency with diabetes was a trip to diabetes camp. There he met kids his age and, more important boys that were older than him that were managing pretty much on their own. At that time he was 10-11. He’s 12 now and can’t be away from rep soccer for too long. I think he needs another refresher 😉 Lisa

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.