This Dry Rub and BBQ Sauce or ‘The Mop’ can be used in place of any rub or sauce. It is a healthier version of those you may find in a grocery store which are usually laden with sugar and salt.
1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
The Dry Rub
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp salt
The Mop (sauce)
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp low sodium tamari or soya sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ½ - 1 tsp chipotle chili powder, more or less to taste
- 1 454 gram/1 pound bag parsnips, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 tbsp sunflower or grapeseed oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Make the Dry Rub: Mix all the rub ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line a cookie sheet with foil.
- Bring the chicken to room temperature for 30 min-1 hour (depending on the temp in your kitchen) before cooking.
- Place the chicken on the sheet (towards one end, leaving room for the parsnips). Sprinkle the chicken all over with The Dry Rub.
- Place the parsnips on the other end of the sheet, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt, toss and arrange so that they are relatively flat.
- Place in the oven for 35 minutes.
- In the meantime, make The Mop: Mix all The Mop ingredients together in medium sized bowl. Remove half of The Mop for another use (store in the fridge for 2 weeks or freeze for 3 months), you will only need half this time. Set aside.
- After 35 minutes, remove the tray from the oven, brush the chicken with the reserved ½ of The Mop.
- Place the sheet back in the oven for another 20 minutes or so.
- Serve immediately.