- 1 liter Mason Jar (or any jar the same size)
- For the dressing at the bottom:
- 1½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tbsp water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup chickpeas (from the can, drained and rinsed)
- 2 oz canned tuna, in water (drained) or 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- ½ cup cooked quinoa (any color)**
- 2 cup veggies - I like to layer the harder ones down first such as sliced radish, sliced celery, shredded carrot, raw cauliflower, then shredded lettuce on the top
- Mix all the dressing ingredients first in the bottom of your jar - shake to mix.
- Layer the salad making sure you put the items at the bottom that can sit in the dressing. I like putting the tomatoes and the chickpeas at the bottom.
- Then put the tuna, egg or any protein you are using, then the quinoa. This should fill half the jar.
- The other half of the jar should be ALL VEGGIES. I always put the harder ones first such as the raw cauliflower, celery and carrot. Always add the lettuce last. Close the jar and pack for lunch (try to keep upright).
- Don’t shake until ready to eat
* I always make 1 cup of dry quinoa and once its cooked use what I need and use the rest for another time. It freezes well also.
To make quinoa use 1 cup DRY UNCOOKED quinoa: Rinse 1 cup quinoa in a strainer, place in small pot. Put 1½ cup water into the pot with the quinoa. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. As soon as it boils, turn the heat to very low and cover the pot and cook for 15 minutes. Immediately remove from heat, remove lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Allow to cool and use as needed.
NOTE - 1 cup DRY quinoa will make 3 cups cooked. For the Salad in a Jar single serving recipe, you will only need ½ cup COOKED quinoa, so you will have quite a bit of leftover cooked quinoa. Put it in your fridge, it will last 4 days or freeze it.