1 pound of ground turkey
500g bag frozen kale (about 2 cups)*, defrosted and liquid squeezed out
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp tomato paste
¼ tsp sea salt
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp medium-grind black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil for the pan
- Cover a prep sheet or tray with parchment paper. Heat a cast iron or stainless steel sauté pan on low heat. Make sure the pan has some sort of lid (it does not have to be a match but something that will work).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the garlic, tomato paste, salt, paprika and pepper. Add the kale and mix well. Add the turkey and mix well.
- Shape into 16 medium size balls.
- Heat the olive oil in the pan and place the turkey balls in the oil, raise the heat to medium and fry on one side for about 2-3 minuses, flip and repeat. Add 2-3 tbsp water to the pan and immediately cover the pan and cook for 8 minutes.
- Eat the meatballs on their own or serve in your favourite tomato sauce (nutritional analysis does not include sauce).
Makes 16 meatballs
*I usually defrost the frozen kale by leaving it out at room temperature for about 1 hour, or you can put it in the microwave, just make sure it is cooled before adding it to the turkey.