The combination of kale and coconut goes well together and creates an unusual flavor that surprisingly packs a huge health punch. Be careful, this is totally addictive!
- 1 large bunch of kale, my favorite is cavero nero or dinosaur kale, also called black kale or lacinato kale, but regular green or regular curly kale is great too
- ½ oz unsweetened large flake coconut (I always find this in a health food store or in an organic package)
- 1½ tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp vegetable oil
- Sea salt for sprinkling on the cooked kale
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 325°F convection, adjust the racks to the upper third and lower third of the oven.
- Cover 2 cookie sheets in tin foil.
- Chop or tear the kale into bite size pieces. Don’t use the hard rib in the center of each leaf.
- In a small bowl, mix together the tamari and vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl toss the oil mixture with the kale pieces and coconut flakes.
- Distribute the kale and coconut over the two prepared cookie sheets.
- Place the two sheets of kale/coconut in the oven, cook for 10-15 minutes, check the kale after 10 minutes (if you do not have convection, swap the sheets halfway through the cooking time.) It should be crispy and shriveled a little. The coconut will be lightly browned.
- As soon as you remove the sheets from the oven, sprinkle the kale and coconut with sea salt.