- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne or to taste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- Juice of ½ lemon, more to taste
- In a large pot, heat 3 tbsp oil over high heat until hot and shimmering. Add onion and saute until golden, about 4 minutes, and garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, black pepper and chili powder or cayenne, and saute for 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth, 1½ cups water, lentils and carrot. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover pot and turn heat to medium-low. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Using an immersion or regular blender or a food processor, puree half the soup then add it back to pot (soup should be somewhat chunky).
- Stir in lemon juice when ready to serve.
Serves 8, 1 cup portions