- 1 cup quinoa
- 1½ cup water
- 1 19-ounce can black beans , drained (1 ½ cups)
- 4 green onions, chopped in rounds
- 2 cups small diced celery
- 1 large tomato (or 2 small ones), diced; or 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup diced cucumber (about 2 small cucumbers or ¼ English cucumber)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro or Italian parsley
- 6oz feta cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup lemon or lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Rinse quinoa in a strainer, put into a small saucepan with the water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool with lid off.
- In the meantime, mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- In a large bowl, toss together the black beans, green onion, celery, tomato, cucumber, cilantro or parsley and most of the cheese, leaving some for sprinkling on the top.
- Add the cooked quinoa and dressing, and toss gently.
Serves 8, Each serving is 1 cup