2 small eggplants
½ tsp sea salt for sprinkling
3 tbsp olive oil for brushing on the eggplant
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in quarters
¼ cup pomegranate seeds, optional
2 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 green onions, chopped
2 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
2 tbsp cold water, more as needed
Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the grill to med high.
- Slice eggplants in ¼-½ inch rounds and lay out on a large sheet of paper towel.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and let stand for 20 minutes, the eggplant will sweat. Blot the slices dry with paper towel.
- Brush each slice of eggplant with olive oil on both sides.
- Grill the slices for about 5 minutes per side (the slices should be golden brown on each side and a little crispy, you may need more time).
- In the meantime, make the tahini sauce by whisking the tahini with the water and salt, add more water to thin it out. It should be the consistency of heavy cream.
- On a platter, lay the eggplant rounds in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the chopped tomatoes, pomegranate seeds, parsley, and green onion. Drizzle with the tahini sauce.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.