For the Crust
1 small cauliflower, florets only, 4 finely riced level cups*
½ cup/60gm spelt flour
½ cup/40gm almond meal/almond flour
1 egg, beaten
½ tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
½ cup/60-65gm finely grated mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
About 1/2 cup shredded smoked mozzarella
About 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
Big handful of spinach
10 basil leaves torn
- Preheat oven to 500˚F and place the oven rack on the second from the lowest position. Heat a cast iron flat top sheet or a cookie sheet (lined with foil if you wish) in the oven as it preheats.
- Measure 4 cups of riced cauliflower* in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Stopping halfway to toss. When cool enough to handle, squeeze the liquid out of the cauliflower using paper towels. Allow the cauliflower to cool a little before adding the egg and cheese.
- Add the two flours, salt, garlic powder and stir well. Add the egg and cheese and work the dough with your hands so that it is all evenly distributed.
- Carefully remove the sheet from the oven, place it down on a heatproof surface. Brush the sheet with the olive oil. Spread the cauliflower mixture in a large oval, making a lip, like a “pizza crust edge.” I will spread it as much as I can with my hands (it is hot), then sometimes put a piece of parchment on top of the flattened cauliflower and using a rolling pin, roll over the parchment to little to make it even thinner, then make a nice raised edge.
- Bake the crust without the toppings for 10 min, remove from the oven and sprinkle the crust (starting with the cheese) with all the toppings. Bake for another 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for a few min, cut and enjoy!
Makes 8 large pieces
*to “rice” the cauliflower, place the florets in the food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pulse the cauliflower many times until it resembles rice.