This salad is so delicious served as a first course or as part of a larger meal. It is delicious as leftovers as well. You can shred the kale, cook the lentils, make the dressing and cook the walnuts all a few days ahead.
- ½ cup dry green or brown lentils
- 1 bunch kale, Lacinato, shredded
- 2 tbsp hazelnut, walnut or olive oil for massaging the kale
- ¼ -½ radicchio, shredded
- 1 pear, sliced thinly
- 1 ounce shaved pecorino or parmesan cheese
For the Walnuts
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp honey
- pinch cayenne
- ⅛ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp hazelnut or walnut oil
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- For the Walnuts: Preheat oven to 350˚F. On a parchment lined cookie sheet drizzle the walnuts with the honey, cayenne, salt and water. Toss to combine and bake for 12 minutes.
- To Cook the Lentils: Bring a small pot of water to boil, add the lentils and cook for 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Make the Dressing: Combine all the Dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, drizzle the oil over the shredded kale and massage it for 1 minute until the kale has softened. Mix in the radicchio, lentils and sliced pear and add all of the dressing, toss to combine. Transfer this mixture to a serving platter and distribute the walnuts all over the salad; do the same with the cheese.