This salad bowl is packed full of nutrient-rich dark green vegetables. Recent studies have shown that two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with a meal even as part of a vinaigrette salad dressing will dramatically reduce the spike in blood glucose that comes after a meal. Add a piece of grilled fish or chicken to make this a great wholesome choice for a lunch or dinner.
- 1 bunch kale, centre ribs removed and shredded
- 12 oz Brussels sprouts, shredded, about 4 cups*
- 2 green onion, sliced in thin rounds
- 1 avocado, sliced in thin slices
- 1 red apple, sliced in matchsticks
For the Dressing (see second nutrition facts label below)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp minced shallots
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a jar, shake and set aside. It will last one week in the fridge.
- Mix all the shredded kale, shredded Brussels sprouts, and green onion. You can do this ahead and use all week (store in a zip top bag).
- When ready to eat, add the avocado and apple.
- Toss with one tablespoon of dressing per serving, add your protein if using and enjoy!
Makes 12 salad servings
*shred the Brussels sprouts on a mandolin or use the thinnest shredding blade of a food processor.