Grilled veggies are so delicious when they are marinated AFTER they are grilled rather than before. I love having a big batch so that I can eat them as a snack or to top a salad with the next day. Sometimes I even make a grilled vegetable and hummous sandwich for lunch the next day.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 red onions
- 1 red chili pepper or jalapeño pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat grill to med-hot.
- Slice eggplant into ¼ inch slices, salt and let stand until small beads of water appear. Rinse and pat dry. Grill until soft. Thinly slice into ½ inch strips lengthwise.
- Grill red peppers whole on all sides until nicely charred. Place in paper bag to steam or cover with plastic wrap for a few minutes; this will help to loosen the skin. Peel all charred skin and seed the peppers. Thinly slice peppers into ½ inch strips.
- Grill asparagus until lightly charred and softened.
- Slice onion in ½-inch rounds, grill until softened, do not burn.
- Grill hot chili pepper until charred on all sides. When cool, peel, seed and chop finely (this will be part of the dressing).
- Place all vegetables (other than chili pepper) on a platter
- Make a dressing by mixing together in a small bowl the chopped mint, parsley, garlic, chopped grilled chili pepper, olive oil, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle dressing all over the veggies making sure it gets in and around the veggies.
If you have leftovers it will keep in fridge for several days.
Serves 6 as a side veggie