Every year when the leaves change colour, the air gets colder and the layers get heavier, I crave a specific warm dessert that signifies all the cozy feelings this changing season brings. Unfortunately, in usual hibernation-fashion, cozy usually means carb-y. This crisp truly showcases the sweet, warm flavours fall has to offer, but without all the usual guilt. I use an assortment of apples to achieve an array of flavours and textures, and a mixture of oats and nuts to achieve a healthier crisp.
For the Apples
- 5 apples*
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1½ tbsp coconut sugar or cane sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp of sea salt
For the Crisp Topping
- 1 cup/100 grams rolled oats (I like large flake or old fashioned)
- ½ cup/45 grams almond flour
- ½ cup/60 grams chopped pecans, toasted**
- ¼ cup/40 grams coconut sugar or cane sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp room temp unsalted butter or coconut oil
For the Greek yogurt (to dollop per serving)
- 2 tbsp low fat Greek yogurt
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 tsp honey to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F
- For the Apples Peel the apples and using a paring knife, slice the apples right off the core in thin uneven pieces. (I am not a fan of coring the apples and then slicing them into wedges on a cutting board, I find the apples do not cook as well, I prefer thin slicing them right off the core and leaving the core behind.)
- In a large mixing bowl toss the apples with the lemon juice. Sprinkle with the cornstarch or arrowroot, sugar, cinnamon and salt, toss. Place apple mixture in a medium size shallow baking dish, about 2-quart (smaller than a lasagna dish), about 10-inch by 9-inch/8-inch by 8-inch, or even smaller.
- Make the Crisp Topping: In a medium size mixing bowl mix together the oats, almond flour, toasted pecans, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Using your fingers, mix in the butter or coconut oil, massaging it into the dry mixture. Scatter this mixture on top of the apples in the baking dish.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes or until the apples are bubbling and the toping is golden.
- To Serve: Serve warm in individual bowls dolloped with Greek yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon and a drizzle of honey.
*I use 2 Granny Smith, one Honey Crisp, one Pink Lady and one Spartan, but choose what you like, as long as you use two Granny Smith and do not use Macintosh.
** I place the whole pecans in a zip top bag and smash them with the back of a fry pan to chop them, then I place them in a dry fry pan and cook them on low heat until they are fragrant and toasted. This takes about 10 minutes.