I love this breakfast because I tend to avoid any extra higher level processing in the morning! Preparing a simple, healthy yet delicious breakfast in 60 seconds the night before, is something that starts my next morning off well! Also, chia seeds are amazingly nutritious, adding healthy fats, protein, iron, and fiber to your breakfast. They are a necessary part to this muesli because they break down and act as a thickening agent by absorbing the liquid; this is necessary for the texture of this overnight muesli to work. Note that the nutritional analysis does not reflect the optional morning toppings.
- About 1/3 cup of large flake (old fashioned) rolled oats
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 cup skim milk (or nut, hemp, rice, soy milk)
- 1 small ripe banana, mashed
- Pinch of sea salt
- Less than ½ tsp vanilla extract or cinnamon
In the morning top it with (optional):
- Place the oats, chia seeds, milk, mashed banana, salt, vanilla or cinnamon in a medium bowl, stir to combine, place in fridge overnight. Do not cover.
- Wake up in the morning and give yourself a portion of the muesli. Top it with any of the above toppings (not reflected in the nutritional analysis) and EAT a healthy breakfast!
- Makes 4 servings (about 85g each, 1/3 cup)
- This will last in the fridge for 2-3 days (cover after the first night)