This recipe includes unsweetened applesauce as a substitute for some of the oil, which reduces the overall fat content. The addition of walnuts provides a healthy dose of omega-3 fatty acids and adds a delicious crunch to the bread. And believe it or not – there is no added sugar!
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the chopped walnuts, if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the banana bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 12 slices
Nutritional analysis includes the addition of walnuts